When I think of Winter, I think of snow-capped mountains, hot drinks, warm fires, and ice-cold winds that blow right through you. As a beauty therapist, it’s the season when I see many clients’ skins suffer from the Winter conditions.
Our skin in Winter – the symptoms:
In Winter our skin can become dehydrated, red, dry, and flaky and can become sensitive. Just like our body needs different nutrients in Winter, so too does our skin. It needs extra protection and a slightly different routine to the warmer seasons.
My tips for taking care of your skin in Winter:
- Stay hydrated – ensure you still drink 2 litres of water daily
- Sunscreen is still a must.
- Allow time for skin without sunscreen for at least 10 minutes each day, to help maintain your vitamin D levels
- Avoid hot showers and baths, especially with heat directly to the face. This can cause the capillaries to dilate and the skin to dehydrate.
- Make sure your skin is exfoliated 2-3 times a week to help penetration of creams into your skin
- Apply moisturiser to your skin while it is still damp
- Use skincare that helps prevent water loss within the skin.
The risks of dehydration:
Water loss from the skin causes dehydration, and this can lead to premature aging. To take care of your skin – particularly at this time of year – it is essential to use skincare designed to feed the skin with vital nutrients and minerals.
My favourite products for Winter skin:
Athonika Age Defender Day and Night creams are specifically designed to prevent dehydration and water loss from the skin. Athonika’s Energiser Scrub will help wake up and stimulate your skin to keep it smooth and allow the absorption of creams allowing the health and vitality of your skin to shine through this Winter.